This just in. Something big is brewing in the world of mortality tables and actuaries. Life expectancy is on the rise in a big way in the United States. We recently took out a life insurance policy on our new baby girl. The policy is good until she is 121 years of age. I'll say it again, she'll have life insurance coverage until she is 121 years old. The year will be 2130. Crazy, huh?
Poking around I found that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates life expectancy, particularly for white females, is at an all time high. For all races and sex life expectancy now averages 77.7 years. White females are projected to live an average of 80.5 years. Those figures are even a few years old.
When I was on the phone with the insurance company they said folks are hitting the century mark left and right these days and the old stand-by of coverage until 100 years of age isn't enough anymore so they bumped up the coverage period to 121 years. At that age the year will be 2130.
Thanks for the sweetness. If I live to be 100 years old, I promise to be good. :)
ReplyDeleteThis reality struck us at retirement. All of a sudden those retirement funds had to go 25% further! No wonder I am still working!
ReplyDeleteThe sweetness of Eli's personality in the video is too much! And, wow…that child has a head of hair! I'm jealous!