Monday, August 10, 2009

A Baptism

Last weekend we went to Roseburg for an important event: Eliana's baptism in Rock Creek. This is a very special place for me because I went there nearly every weekend during the summer with my dad. We would take our old blue Toyota truck up Highway 138 to the river and lay in the sun, swim, hunt for rocks, catch craw-dads, paint ourselves with "rock paint", chant, sing, build rock towers, and on and on. It was a great time.

This was Eli's first trip up the river and she had quite an audience. My mom, dad, Betti (my river mother), Carl, Greg and I were all there to watch her dunk her precious little toes in the magical water. We brought back several rocks to mark the occasion. I can't wait to take her back and watch her learn to love the place as I do.

Betti, Eli and me dunking toes.


Eli was NOT thrilled.


Do you think she'll forgive us?

The whole event - complete with pissed off baby!


Another amazing thing about Rock Creek is that it is a salmon spawning ground. I love going to the deep hole where they gather. Their journey never ceases to amaze me and I always feel privileged to witness the last stage of their life.



2 comments:

  1. The pictures and the video's are great and help
    refresh the experience.
    xoxoxoxo Grandpa s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and when she views these in years to come, she may not forgive you.

    Popsicle

    ReplyDelete