Sunday, July 4, 2010

To Maine!

On Friday, Eliana and I departed for our Maine adventure. I was totally prepared with snacks, bottles, and toys wrapped in paper waiting to be opened at the necessary times. All of my preparation, however, didn't help much at all. Eliana was unable to sleep on the plane. Sadly, this created a very grumpy baby for most of the flight to Philadelphia. She had one really bad screaming spell that lasted about 20 minutes. I was ready to die. The good thing is, we finally made it! The short jump from Philadelphia to Portland, Maine only lasted an hour and she was pretty happy through most of it. At this point, as I sit looking out on the lake, I'd do it all over again. It's really nice to be here.

Howard and Eileen met me at the airport with a lobster roll - the perfect way to mark my arrival in Maine. We made it to the house a little after 9:00. We could have made it earlier, but I had to stop at the Mosquito with Howard to have my welcome to Maine ice cream cone. You know, priorities and all.

Eliana went right to sleep and I stayed up for a bit chatting with Howard and Eileen. I slept great until Eli woke up around 5:00 in the morning. I brought her in bed with me and we slept until 10:00! That hasn't happened in a long time. She's not feeling very well and has been running a bit of a fever the past couple of days. I think it's because she has several molars coming in.

When we got up yesterday morning, we came out into the kitchen to look out the big glass doors onto the patio and the lake. We stood there for a moment gazing out. Then, Eli pointed to the lake and said, "WOW. Agua!" It was priceless.

Eileen and I ran a few errands in the early afternoon and then came home for a dip in the lake. The water is so refreshing and perfect. Eliana, of course, waded right in and didn't want to get out. She had a blast riding around in the inflatable boat that Nana got for her.

In the evening, Sue and Nana gave Eli her bottle and put her to bed so that I could get a run in. I went about 3 miles on the road. It was a little humid and I was hot when I got back to house. The lake was calling my name and so I walked down to the dock, took off my shoes and sat there with my feet in the water. What a great end to a run. Tonight I think I might just come back and jump in!

Howard made a fantastic dinner of pork chops on the grill and we ate like kings and queens. Then, I was surprised with a delicious apple blueberry pie complete with candles for my birthday. Eileen and Howard spoiled me with an awesome long rain jacket from LL Bean, several zipping canvas bags and a check that will go toward the purchase of a new Apple shuffle. Lucky me!

It was a terrific first day in the great state of Maine and I still have 3 whole weeks left.

First splashes in the lake

Surveying the scene. She approves.
AGUA!
Nana and Eli living the good life

2 comments: